HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Quiet Carriages (Read 4145 times)
ecantona

Watch this space

Chalkwell
Quiet Carriages
Oct 19th, 2007 at 10:38am

I know this has been mentioned before but; before i snap on a train one day and strangle someone with there own ipod headphones. Please please cant c2c consider a few quiet carriages, so I can get away from these people that have no respect for anyone else. Ipods, these brain dead people sit there thinking that no one else can hear their tunes, their excuses are women talking crap, coughing, sneezing and mobile phone users so they can have a nice comfortable journey to and from work fast asleep, while we have to listen to their crap. Chiltern Railways have just introduced quiet carriages, they have pictures of headphones, mobile phones, people taking loudly with big red crosses through them on all the windows. A colleague of mine says its great. Surely it is worth a try. Does anyone else agree if so cant we all ask c2c for these carriages?

IP Logged

tkd

London
Re: Quiet Carriages
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 3:02pm

From "c2c news", Issue 06, (2007):

While some c2c customers like to be able to chat
to friends, listen to MP3 players, or watch DVDs
on the train, we realise others appreciate a spot
of peace and quiet.

c2c will soon be introducing Quiet Zones on all
services for those who prefer to read, study or
relax – especially after a long day in the office.

Managing Director Mark Hopwood, said: “We
welcome things that help people to have an
enjoyable journey with us. For some that’s
using their mobile phones, laptop games, MP3
players or DVD players. But some customers
have told us they would like to travel in more
tranquil surroundings. To accommodate all
our customers’ wishes, we will be introducing
one ‘quiet coach’ in every four on all our
services, where people can travel in peace.
We hope to ensure that all our
customers are able to enjoy
their journey with us.

IP Logged

spike

Visitor to www.consumerdeals.co
.uk

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 8:14am

Subtle change from 3 years ago, when c2c tried to put 6 TV screens & 10 loud speakers in every carriage.

Interestingly Mark Hopwood has jumped ship and is now running FGW's high-speed trains.

IP Logged

tog

Watch this space

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 11:31am

I travelled on a Quiet Carriage last night and noticed no difference in the number of people braying into their mobiles. All c2c have done is spent a few pence on stickers and put out a press release. They have to do nothing else since they know that there is no way it can be policed, and as I have a bias in favour of life there's no way I am going to ask anyone from that neck of the woods to keep it down or pay attention to the stickers.

IP Logged

PAZCOM

.uk

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 11:48am

tog wrote on Jan 16th, 2008 at 11:31am:
and as I have a bias in favour of life there's no way I am going to ask anyone from that neck of the woods to keep it down or pay attention to the stickers.

What neck of the woods are you talking about, if your going to slate people then leaving a cryptic answer is not very fair is it?

IP Logged

ecantona

Watch this space

Chalkwell
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 2:10pm

I really cant see the point of these quiet zones, when i am on these so called quiet zones i still see and hear people using mobile phones and ipods. It clearly says on the stickers please refrain from using electrical equipment and do not use mobile phones.

Is it because the stickers are not big enough or not enough of them?

Is it because you think we cant hear your ipod, when we still can?

Or that when you are having full on discussions on the phone about what you have done that day, that cos you are whispering its ok?

I will asked the question thou to all ipod and mobile phone users.

Why do you still use this equipement in the quiet zones?

Honest answers!  Huh Shocked Huh

IP Logged

Woo7

Consumerdeals Supporter

Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 5:55pm

The stickers are far & few between, and badly positioned. They should be on windows and the backs of seats.  I have no hesitation in pointing them out to overly loud idiots who think I want to know about their day/life/labotomy.  If these people are never hassled by other passengers for acting in this inconsiderate manner, what incentive is there for them to stop?

IP Logged

c2cpunter

Consumerdeals Supporter

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 4:04pm

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way of enforcing this rule so it's just a case of c2c asking politely and putting a few stickers up. Nobody seems to take any notice of them anyway.

Where space is at a premium on rush hour services should people who use iPods very quietly have to stand on another packed carriage instead of trying to find a seat anywhere on the train? The Chafford Hundred line is always very crowded and people will look for seats wherever they can get them.

Personally I listen to my iPod on the train in the mornings but make sure it's turned right down so it doesn't annoy anyone else.

I think there are bigger issues than noisy commuters though; namely the people who somehow manage to continually fare dodge on c2c services and those who play music from their mobile phones, even some who smoke on the train.

I've seen people stand up to youths like this before only to be abused or assaulted so more often than not other passengers sit quietly and uncomfortably.

I know Chafford Hundred station is notorious for overcrowding and even the station redevelopment did little to sort the situation out - but I'm sick and tired of seeing so many people push through the barriers and get away with fare dodging.

IP Logged

Del
Senior

.uk

UK
Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 4:28pm

Adding RF screening film to the quiet carriages would help, 'no signal' on all the mobiles in the quiet carriage, bliss!

IP Logged

Woo7

Consumerdeals Supporter

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 4:31pm

I really don't mind people playing their iPod or even talking on their phones as long as they keep it right down. If the train is not crowded and they are in a seat yelling into their phone, quite frankly I just want to hit them over the head with something heavy.  A lot of people don't even know they are in a quiet carriage until it is pointed out to them, and that's because the posters are tiny and blend into the wall.  Sad

IP Logged

springy

Watch this space

Stanford Le Hope
Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 10:30pm

Read the latest October update from c2c today, and they are going to implement a couple of new things to enforce it, for example having announcement in the first carriage and one thing that I am not very sure on is putting something on the window to block mobile phone signals. I mean that I am not too sure on. What if you have to make a call in an emergency or you receive an unexpected call. Not sure on this at all...

IP Logged

Del
Senior

.uk

UK
Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 1:34am

Its a QUIET CARRIAGE!
If you want to make a call MOVE TO ANOTHER CARRIAGE!
If you can't live without your mobile being on then DON'T GET IN A QUIET CARRIAGE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Its only 25% of the available space, try using the other 75%.

IP Logged

Woo7

Consumerdeals Supporter

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 9:38am

I am extremely happy about the new initiatives for the Quiet Zone Carriages.  The film blocking signals will be a good thing 99% of the time, but I appreciate people may need to send texts when the trains are late.  Just making it more obvious that it is a Quiet carriage is a great step forward. 

I also feel that we have actually been listened to for once. Hurrah!

I look forward to the day when one of these 'LOOK AT ME' idiots can't figure out why their phone doesn't work.   Grin

IP Logged

Bob

Consumerdeals Supporter

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 10:11am

The idea of a quiet zone makes no sense in the rush hours from 6-8am there are no spare seats . If someone is talking too loudly tell them to speak more quietly. If their MP3 Player is too loud ask them to turn it down. Alternatively BUY some ear plugs. If the 'Quiet' carriage is full and you want to sit in a quiet carriage what would the reaction be if a non-Quiet person was asked to give up his seat!!!
  I just need a seat!!!

IP Logged

tog

Watch this space

Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 11:55am

Woo7 wrote on Oct 23rd, 2008 at 9:38am:
I look forward to the day when one of these 'LOOK AT ME' idiots can't figure out why their phone doesn't work.   Grin

At least until you get to a station and the doors open...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2